Flooding and Disability

By: A.C.

With regard to the present flooding disaster in the south of England, our thoughts have to be well-wishing and hope that their plight ends soon. Those farmers and rural workers produce food, and that land, which is normally flooded as “meadow” – the original meaning of the word – which is where the floodwater in winter brings silt and nutrients that enriches the pastures, and then there are heavy crops from the grass in Spring and Summer, which feeds the cows and sheep.

I would think that much of the land where seawater has covered it will be unusable for a long time. Gardeners and allotment owners should heed the advice of the Royal horticultural Society.

Have you noticed though that the climate change doubters and sceptics are now hurriedly changing their minds as storms barrel in day after day?  There are great interviews of them being toasted and grilled on a pointy interviewing stick over the last few days. I think most cynics knew that the minute London and the Thames Valley started to flood, something like a major disaster would be declared.  Near enough, with the PM stating that money is now no object. 

The simple truth is, that there is nowhere for water to go. A very simple analogy is that when a bucket is full, you cannot add any more water.  That is basically the south of England. 

The ground water in the aquifers or water table is at its highest levels since the 1700’s, and there is nowhere for the water to go. In the Somerset levels, it is flat and unless someone can tilt Britain, with a titanic finger, or wring it out like a sponge, the water is there for months to come. Even if the rain stopped today, it will not cure the floods. 

This brings me back to an earlier post about what happens when the lights go out. What happens when floods hit our houses? Especially if you are disabled, chronically sick or need nursing. The advice is nearly the same.

Finding information is not easy and many sites read like some kind of Dytopian Post Cataclysmic Survivors Guide.

I found this commonsense advice site at Shelter Scotland, which covers everything from how to check if you are liable to be flooded and dealing with insurance and homelessness. 

Their advice to the disabled is simple.  “If you’re older or disabled, you may find it harder to cope with flooding in your home. Contact your local council to find out what they can do to help you in the event of a flood. For example, they may be able to help you evacuate your home, find alternative accommodation and clear up afterwards”.

This entry was posted in Opinion and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *